Plumbing leaks are very common but some leaks are more common than others, here are five of the most common leaks found in your property.
1. Water heater: Traditional water heaters that use a tank should be regularly inspected for any signs of leaks. With the regular temperature shifts and large amounts of water the seals are water tanks decay through time. The pressure relief valve on the tank itself is the most likely spot to leak in your water heater.
2. Toilet: If you see puddles spreading from your toilet or even a small sign of drippage you need to act quickly. A leaking toilet can destroy flooring, ceilings if on the second floor, and woodwork like trim. If your toilet runs it is probably best to hire a professional to make sure there are no leaks around your toilet.
3. Leaks around Drains: Drains leading out of showers, tubs, and sinks are weak spots that can begin to leak over time. Another problem area is the first pipe section below the drain as it often leaks.
4. Dripping faucets: While leaking faucets are unlikely to cause major damage it is a sizeable amount of wasted water.
5. Dishwasher: There should never be puddles of water around or under your dishwasher this means there is something wrong somewhere. The leak could come from a drain issue, leaky hose, or a bad seal. A burst pipe in your dishwasher may be one of the most common plumbing emergencies. If you notice a leak around your dishwasher you need to address it quickly as dishwasher leaks tend to get worse.